**This refresher course is only available to those that have completed ‘Motivational Interviewing, and how to use it effectively’ and are wanting to refresh their knowledge and renew their APT Accreditation.**
Online Motivational Interviewing training from the Association for Psychological Therapies (APT). Includes APT accreditation, certification, and resources.
Based on Miller and Rollnick's latest book, this course describes an organised way of helping people to recognise their problems and to do something about them. Principally it addresses behaviour about which the client has mixed feelings: drinking and substance misuse for example, but a surprising array of common mental and physical health problems as well. Issues from taking psychoactive medication through to eating more healthily can all be addressed using motivational interviewing.
For further information on the format of APT online training click here.
Motivational Interviewing describes an organised way of helping people to recognise their problems and to do something about them. Principally it addresses behaviour about which the client has mixed feelings: drinking and substance misuse for example, but a surprising array of common mental and physical health problems as well. Issues from taking psychoactive medication through to eating more healthily can all be addressed using motivational interviewing.
This course is based on the latest edition of Miller and Rollnick's book so covers the four broad components of skill, namely: Knowledge and Spirit, Engaging, Focusing and Evoking, and Planning and Integration. In addition it looks at the relationship between Motivational Interviewing and The Stages of Change (the work of DiClemente et al). And finally it covers how to develop your Motivational Interviewing skills and practise after the course.
Definition and description of Motivational Interviewing.
- The underlying spirit of motivational interviewing.
- Reflective Listening and the client centred OARS skills.
- Identifying the goals the client wants to move towards.
- Exchanging information and providing advice.
- Generating change talk (where the client talks about changing) and responding to it in a way that develops and encourages it.
- Traps to avoid in early stages of therapy.
- Responding to sustain talk (where the client talks about sustaining the way they are right now) in a way that doesn't encourage it.
- Developing hope and confidence.
- Timing, and negotiating a plan of change.
- Strengthening commitment.
- Integrating motivational interviewing with other clinical approaches.
- The link between motivational interviewing (Miller and Rollnick) and the stages of change model (Prochaska et al).
Developing your motivational interviewing skill and practise after the course.
What this online course will do for you - you will:
- Properly know about and be able to use Motivational Interviewing.
- Know that a person's ambivalence about changing is a natural thing that we can work with effectively.
- Be able to generate motivation in people who are not motivated
- Be able to help people form constructive plans, and have downloadable resources to assist you with this.
- Be able to boost people's faith in their own ability to succeed.
- Know how to respond constructively when a person is 'resistant' – and know what to examine in your own practice when this is the case.
- Know how to give advice, and be able to do that skilfully.
What you receive as a result of completing this online course (and exam):
You will receive APT accreditation Level 2 and be able to print off a certificate to verify this.
You will have access to the course and resources for the duration of your accreditation (3 years), which is renewable by sitting an online refresher. Your registration lasts indefinitely.
Your accreditation is given value by the fact of over 100,000 people having attended training from the Association for Psychological Therapies (APT). See APT accreditation for full details.
By completing/passing this course, you will attain the certificate Level 2 Accreditation (18 hours CPD)
Your cart is empty