DBT brings together a series of skills and techniques which are powerful and well-chosen ones, for working with personality disorder and other areas. Many people want to familiarise themselves with these skills without necessarily becoming a DBT therapist exclusively, and this course is for you if you are one of those people as well as if you are thinking of taking the first step in becoming a DBT therapist or establishing a DBT service. As well as covering the ‘overall concept of DBT’, it covers its ‘essential elements’ such as how to set up skills development groups, the inter-relation between the groups and the 1:1 sessions, how to maximise generalistion of the skills learned into real life, how therapists gain support for themselves, how fidelity to the model is maintained, and more.
After completing this online course:
- You will have the feeling of knowing what DBT is all about, and understanding it.
- You will be able to create validating environments - environments that make people feel good.
- You will be able to validate other people - to have them feel as though you are on the same wavelength as they are.
- You will be able to quickly have people 'see things differently'.
- You will be able to (help people to) solve problems.
- You will be able to respond to people who have just done very severe behaviours in a way which is caring yet does not reinforce the severe behaviour.
- You will be able to (help people to) bring some sense of order and predictability to emotions.
- You will have the chance to begin practising mindfulness.
- You will be able to (help others to) tolerate distress much better. Not to allow distress to get into a 'vicious spiral'.
- You will be able to order competing priorities amongst several 'top priorities'.
- If you want to set up a fully fledged DBT service, you will have taken the first step and be able to see the path ahead.
Your cart is empty